Summer Bootstrap Camp
In the summer of 2006 we held our very first Summer Bootstrap Camp. It
is a two week program for incoming Ph.D. students with the following
- Orient new students to department facilities.
- Introduce students to faculty research areas.
- Review background material for first year courses.
- Hold advising sessions to set first semester course plan.
- Begin training in teaching at Berkeley.
- Provide opportunities for the in-coming class to meet each other and to meet senior students.
Details from the past summer, including schedule and materials, are available here:
Berkeley High School
Graduate students and faculty organize tutoring and help undergraduates
prepare fun classroom activities to help high school students in the local
schools learn fundamental statistical concepts.
Summer Statistics Program
Several of our graduate students help with the UCLA Summer Statistics
Program for undergraduates as instructors. The seven day workshop is
designed so that students get a sense of how statisticians approach large,
complex problems. Importantly, students also get a chance to work with
some of the data. In the process, students will gain a basic understanding
of computing and visualization tools.
Cal Day is the annual open house event for the UC Berkeley campus and the
Statistics Department. Undergraduate and graduate students work together
with postdocs and faculty to prepare exciting and informative
demonstrations for the general community. We get many visitors from
young to old and from far and near.