References to chance in micro-blogs - Examples by topic
As noted on the cover page,
here we categorize by topic.
The percentages below add up to 86%; the others instances were in smaller categories
the entire list in this categorization.
Not unexpectedly a fairly frequent topic.
- So apparently the exam board randomly changed my coursework from an A to a D and that it's "extremely unlikely" that it will change.
Career or Job (5%)
- There is no real reason for me to go to work tomorrow, since I'll probably be finished by 10am.
Somewhat less common here than in regular blogs.
- Lets face it, out of all the beautiful people out there, theres a fat chance the boys will fall for us.
Sports - spectator (9%)
Another predictably frequent topic.
In contrast, almost no references to the individual participating in sports.
- Don't understand how FSU is being picked to winner the national championship this year. Will choke like last year. No chance.
Much less frequent than in the Bing data.
- The most important thing is I am now cancer free with very very slim chance of recurrence.
Social, in the sense of relations with other people, other than romantic (16%)
Rather a catch-all category.
- There's no chance of me even sleeping tonight with my little sister here.
- Go shopping with my mum and she just by chance forgets her bank card and I'm the one that buys all her new living room furniture.
- Attempting to do a Google Hangout w/ college buddies during our FF draft tonight. Probability of disastrous results: 85%.
Philosophy, in the sense of implicit advice for other people (7%)
More common than I had expected.
- If you only interact with like-minded individuals, then it's very likely that you will develop a narrow mind.
Introspective thoughts (6%)
- I'm such a private person I'd never want to b famous, unless I cured some disease or something lol fat chance.
Everyday activities, individual rather than social (11%)
- I think that I should cook chicken, but then there's the slight risk of my house getting burnt down.
- I have a 50/50 chance of choosing shampoo and every time i grab the conditioner bottle!
The physical world (7%)
Mostly weather and animals.
- In the past week I've seen TWO sets of twin fawns ~ miles apart ~ so I know its not the same set. Beautiful to behold. What are the odds?
Stuff -- human artifacts (10%)
- Upgraded to 2.5.1 in the hopes that this would go away. Fat chance. Tried the .htaccess fix, deleting the js_cache, deleting cookies and the browser cache, switching browsers, switching operating systems (from Win to Mac) -- still no dice.
- Note to self; give away every pair of high heels you own, the probability of ever wearing them again is not looking good.