References to chance in micro-blogs -- Examples by relation to writer
As noted on the cover page,
this categorization is based on distinguishing future events from
past events, and on
distinguishing events with direct personal involvement of the writer from more distant events which
are simply of interest to the writer.
The percentages below add up to 92%; the other instances were in smaller categories
the entire list in this categorization.
Past -- personal luck (9%)
Events of direct personal relevance that the writer explicitly or implicitly views lucky or unlucky.
- So lucky to be at this Spanish restaurant in time for today's special.
- Just by chance today saw a guy walking to his car and asked if i could take his spot.
- Two marriages, one common-law relationship. What are the odds of one man finding three women incapable of being in a healthy relationship?
Past -- personal coincidences (9%)
Events experienced personally by the writer and noted as coincidence.
Those regarded as lucky I assigned to the previous category.
- What are the odds of driving alongside my ex's parents on the Taconic? Especially now.
- Such a coincident I met my long lost secondary schoolmate, had a face to face conversation, not much changes still the same black hair.
- What are the odds that I'd end up wearing the same shirt on the first day of school as someone I dislike.
Past -- impersonal coincidences (3%)
Typically from the news or sport or history.
- Apple's win yesterday coincidentally happened on Tim Cook's one-year anniversary as CEO.
Past -- chance events concerning other people (3%)
Such references are quite rare.
- Her father says they at first gave her just a slim chance of surviving, and she spent weeks sedated and breathing on a respirator.
Ongoing state of affairs (5%)
Typically signalled by the word fortunate.
- I'm so fortunate to be living here now. This place is absolutely amazing.
Future -- specific events directly relevant to writer (21%)
Unsurprisingly, this is the largest category.
- Ive had a sore throat all day like but haven't done anything about it probably get worse.
- I wanna go to ucla and become a special effects make-up artist for movies. probability of me actually making it in movies.. little to none.
- Well looks like I might be trapped in a hurricane or storm for my birthday AGAIN this year... WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!
- Trying to make myself sound as good as possible on my CV, might have more chance of getting an interview then.
- Cat now absolutely loves spiral staircase and won't leave it; will in all likelihood cause inevitably fatal accident.
Future events involving people but not specific to writer (8%)
- Coale, a fifth-round draft pick, was the early favorite everyone believed would have the best chance to replace Robinson.
- If by a slim chance Oasis could get back together just for one last concert I could easily die happy.
- I swear finding a parking spot on A&T campus is like hitting the lottery. You have to be lucky as shit and it rarely happens quickly.
Future impersonal events (4%)
The weather, the economy, etc.
- Today is suddenly cold but sunny. This is very likely one of first signs of autumn. Pleasant.
Future - the writer's volition (9%)
It may be surprising that matters concerning future decisions by the writer are often
expressed in chance terms.
- I have five hours to write a paper. Likelihood that I will get it done: 0.
- It's looking very likely that i'll be getting a new tattoo at the weekend!
- Its a slim chance that I wud date a guy with a kid if the opportunity presented itself.
Hypothetical possibilities for writer (3%)
- If I was the only person on this earth there's no chance I would of invented a fire, never mind a telephone.
Philosophical thoughts? (15%)
Here lies a spectrum of (more or less successful attempts at) humor or everyday philosophy.
- It must have been very risky for pirates to slightly burn all the edges of their treasure maps and then dip them in tea.
- The probability of someone watching you is proportional to the stupidity of your action.
- Unless you make your goal a must, it is very likely you would never achieve it.
- I would take all the pain in the world now for the slim chance of complete happiness later.
- Been having a little debate in our house tonight about eugenics. if you could reduce
the chance of a child being born with downs, would you?
Uncertainty about facts (3%)
- No chance the Pitcher is 12 yrs old. I'm guessing he is north of 16.