STAT 157 (2016) : Student comments on the 6 minute talks
As you found out, it's very hard to do a 6 minute talk well, so don't be discouraged.
Summary comments listed under the last 4 digits of your student ID.
- 0298: Enthusiastic presentation, nice choice of topic, but mathematics a bit slow and elementary.
- 0495: Interesting topic and well-prepared, but the "how to read the table" focus
didn't provide a conclusion.
- 0742: Well-prepared and well-presented, though not a very engaging message.
- 1347: OK as a broad talk, but lacked specifics.
- 1678: Well prepared and well presented, though content was not so novel to some people.
- 2051: Nice presentation of everyday phenomena.
- 2089: Interesting topic and example: some liked the math explanation, others found it hard to follow.
- 2559: Interesting topic for experienced players, but talk style (reading many
facts quickly) not so appealing -- better to have facts on handout.
- 2920: Exuberant presentation, conceptual rather than mathematical, impressively extemporized,
engaging though chaotic blackboard diagrams.
- 2993: Interesting and informative material, clearly and enthusiastically presented.
- 3751: Clear presentation of interesting topic, though familiar to some.
- 4163: Interesting topic, but talk was poorly organized -- didn't emphasize a main point.
- 4905: Interesting and different topic, well presented, though business plan hardly seems conceptually novel.
- 4936: Enthusiastic well-paced presentation, engaging and thought-provoking.
- 5204: Interesting data, good handout, well presented, though not so clear bottom line.
- 5338: Clear presentation of interesting topic, though treatment not very deep.
- 5622: Clear explanation, but style (reading slowly from notes) not engaging, and topic familiar to many.
- 5659: Enthusiastic presentation and very interesting story, though many found
the analysis went too fast to follow.
- 5757: Useful handout, would be OK as written paper but topic and presentation too
technical for a talk to this audience.
- 5914: Interesting topic, would be good as a written paper
but did not engage the audience as a spoken presentation.
- 6166: Enthusiastic overview of a technical topic in Statistics.
- 6182: Very clear presentation, but topic was familiar to many people.
- 6263: Very interesting topic; handout a little too hard to understand quickly; hesitant speaking style.
- 6430: Nice tie-in with lecture; formula would have been better on handout.
- 6876: Well-prepared, enthusiastic speaking style, enjoyed by audience though perhaps no clear conclusion.
- 7036: OK as written paper working an example in queueing theory, but not
so appropriate style as talk.
- 7112: Interesting topic, very clear explanation, though rather textbook-like
and no explicit probability.
- 7213: Well-prepared, interesting and relevant topic and data, lively presentation style.
- 7772: Interesting topic and conclusions; would be better to have graphics on handout.
- 8199: Quite interesting material but a rather "flat" presentation -- a handout would have been helpful.
- 8425: Well prepared and well presented, though textbook-like content is familiar to many.
- 8484: Nice tie-in with lecture topic, though no clear conclusion.
Would help to have math model written in handout, and to give real data example.
- 9027: Knowledgeable speaker, nice laid back speaking style, many people liked the explanations of terminology,
though would like a little more math content.
- 9145: Enjoyable history stories though no quantitative material.
- 9239: Engaging choice of topic and good presentation, though statistical analysis somewhat superficial.
- 9376: Everyone liked the enthusiastic presentation style, though the math content was rather lightweight.
- 9615: Clear and interesting explanations and nice example.