Lists of student course projects
- Christopher Liu: Sequencing in Baseball.
- Kent Chen: Modeling Defensive Abilities in Major League Baseball.
- Andrew Soncrant: MLB: Why we should use the bullpen differently.
- Pui Fung Lam: Statistical Breakdown of the annual Big Game.
- Canzhi Ye and Shashank Bhargaca: Data-driven Analysis of NBA Draft Adages.
- Justin Kim: Who Will Qualify to Represent USA Swimming in 2016 Rio Olympic Games?
- Dong Kyun Kim and Sukhyun Park and Ilsung Lee: The truth behind PGA tour players' scores.
- Zhenyang Zhang and Xinyang Geng: Analysis on prediction based on different rating systems.
- Shane Barratt: Expectimax Applied to the Game 2048.
- Shichang Zhang: Rationality of Strategies in Game Theory.
Finance and economics
- Rahul Shankar: Forecasting currency exchange rates.
- Xiaochen Yang: Arbitrage Opportunity in a 14-Day Time Window Using Daily Signal.
- Grace Deng: Predicting the Success of Start-ups.
- Daniel Saedi: Analysis of Hedge Fund Risk Metrics and mVaR.
- Hanquan Yang: The X Factor In Insurance Decision.
- Kingsley Xuan and Leanne Lee: Projections of U.S. Oil Reserves and Gas Price Stabilization.
- Ellen Chan: Presidential Elections and the Stock Market.
- Chuyue Frances Huang: 2016 Presidential Primary Polling: Accuracy and Primary House Effect.
- Ling Yang: Gender Differences in Risk Perception.
- Hanying Mo: Racial Discrimination in the Sharing Economy: a Study on Airbnb.
Data and prediction
- Renjun Zhu: The Prediction of the Oscar Best Picture Winner.
- Tongzhou Wang: Structural Analysis on Punctuations in Online Reviews.
- Weidong Qin: Prediction of PM2.5 air pollution in Shanghai.
- Albert Lee: Predicting Economic Sentiment Through Analyzing Tweets by Multiple Machine Learning Technologies.
- Grace Bian and Connie Zhang: Should You Avoid Certain Airlines When Planning Your Trip?
- Nadav Tadelis: Violating Rubin's SUTVA through Compositional Bias while using a Proxy.
- Qianhui Wan: Multivariate Arabidopsis Project.
- Jin Cho: Probability theory in Monte Carlo Simulation.
- Anshuman Dewangan: The (Facebook) Friendship Paradox.
- Nicholas Hancock: The Optimal Design of a Hypothetical Hyperloop System.
Sports and Games
- NUNEZ, JOSEF CONRADO: Optimizing a Fantasy Football Lineup.
- HUANG, JUSTINE: Applying Elo ranking and PageRank to tennis players.
- HE, TIANYANG: Predicting the Winner of the World Cup --using the Power of Probability.
- KILAMBI, ANIRUDH SRINIVAS: Modeling Baseball's Free Agency Period.
- WINARTO, ANLIN: Blackjack Counting Cards Simulations.
- ASUNCION, ALBERTO INIGO and PATEL, RAJARAM ASHOK: The Hot Hand in Basketball - Fact or Fiction?
- CHO, HYE SOO and KIM, MINGYO: Winning strategy of the Nim game.
- CHO, HAE HYUN and TAN, RYAN: Using probability to win at Risk.
- CHON, WILLIAM SHIN-YU: Near misses.
- LI, BIYING and YE, SIDA: Twitter Sentiments and IPO Price Movements.
- LEE, JI HUN: Risk Measurement from Twitter Activity.
- GUO, YICHEN: Predicting volatility for biotech stocks.
- SIMONIAN, JOSEPH NISHAN: Are there markets where an average mutual fund outperforms an index?
- QIN, JIAYU and XU, MENGYAO: Which is the most relevant factor for hotel price on Kayak?
- WEI, YIWEN: Is there discrimination in the job market?
- MIZUNO, YOSHIKI: The Relationship between Suicide Rates and Tax Rates in Japan.
- YOUSUF, IMRAN M: Big Data and its association with Social and Search Networks.
- GADGIL, TEJOMAY: Public Shootings.
- WALLSTEDT, NICOLE RENEE: Ebola: The Essence, The Excitement, and The End.
- DENG, XU and HU, YUFAN and SHEN, PATTY YUQIU: Probability in Music.
- FLANNERY, BRANDON JOHN: Bible Code and Religious Probabilities.
- ALCH, JENNIFER RACHEL: Examining US Linguistic Trends Using Probabilistic Algorithms.
- LATH, PUNEET and MACHADO, ANTONIO: Breaking the BCS rankings.
- HUNG, KA WA and CHAN, HONG NAM: Predicting soccer results.
- XIN,TIM CHENG: Random-walk model for per-possession outcomes of NBA games.
- DHAR, AMRIT: Predicting success for wide receivers in the NFL draft.
- SCHAFFER, JOSHUA: Stratification and Trends in the MLB Draft.
- THOMAS, CONNER REGAN: Home Field Advantage and Betting on the NFL.
- CHEN, YIFU: Boom or Bust: Drafting Stars in the NFL
- MOACANIN, MAX JOVAN: Analysis of the Effectiveness of PageRank in Ranking Sports Teams.
- LIU, SANDY KATHLEEN and CHUNG, SANG HOON: Predicting Stock Prices from Twitter.
- BONG, STEVEN RILEY: Using NVIDIA-CUDA architecture to price stock options.
- RYU,SOO-BIN: Examination of US Gas Prices: Deciding when to Put Gas.
- WAN,ALBERT CALVIN When is the best time to buy an airline ticket? The Bing airfare predictor.
- LEE, IN HYE: External factors affecting box office success.
- YANG, QINXIN (Christina) and ZHANG, MENGYUN (Amy); Crime and Insurance rates.
- DAI, YAN and DONG, WENJUN and ZHANG, WANYUE: Insurance Probability: Comparison and Analysis of
Consumer Psychology and Pricing Strategy in U.S. and China.
- LI, ZHAOFENG and CHEN, YI WEN: Accidents and Fatalities by Flight.
- NGUYEN, CHELSEA TUYET-NHUNG: The probability of getting an uncommon childhood
- SAUNDERS, JAMES PATRICK III: Hotelling's Positioning Game and Democratic Political Institutions.
- OBLEA, ERIKA KIRSTIE: Evaluating the Accuracy of Public Opinion Polls with California Propositions.
- WONG, ANGELA: How representative are juries?
- MUGISHA, JEAN FABIUS: Earthquake probability in the Bay Area.
- LIANG,ALICE YING: Conditional weather probabilities: knowing today what happens tomorrow.
- DAO, CECILIA: Asteroid Collisions with Earth: Literature Review on Methods for Estimating Impact
- HWANG,YOO-SEON: The statistical relationship between generosity and wealth.
- AU-YEUNG, CHEUK NAM (Benson) and TSAI, CHENG-FU: Application of Queuing Model---Waiting time in DMV
- NI, ZHENG and LIU, LI (Angela): Analysis of freeway traffic.
Timothy Wong: Probability and the NBA Draft Lottery.
Steven Lea: Tanking in sports.
Wing Yip Fung : Probability on Bowling scoring.
Irwin Liu : NBA Conspiracy Theory.
Andrew Duong: Bias in Olympic scoring?
Kai-An Tsai : NBA Home Court Advantage.
Ankur Bhatia : Greyhound Racing Place Probabilities.
Rami Totari : Bowl Championship Series (BCS).
Jeff Gonda : NFL and NCAA football point spread analysis.
Aaron Solomon ; Beer Pong: The What, How and Why.
Dandan Zhang: Betting on soccer.
Anshul Shah : The Study of Prediction Markets.
David Klein: Statistical analysis of baseball prediction markets.
Shan Shan Hou and Allen Ly : Stock Market.
Joyce Wong : Examining the stock market using the random walk model.
Lilei Yuan and Le Yin : Kelley Strategy and Its Efficiency.
Ryan Chang and Tianqi Zhu and Chris Lin : Credit Risk Management.
Ying Yip and JingZhuo-Kyle Jiang : Six Sigma.
Alec Kennedy : Predicting Box Office Success
Nate Lorenzen: Movie critics and their ratings.
Nicki Wells : Likeminded Movie Opinions.
Aneesh Kadakia: Election Result Predictor models.
Laura Williams : The Bradley effect.
Deviyani Gurung: Structure of networks.
Hing Lun (Steven) So and Samuel Li : Psychology of probability.
Shirley Liu and Janet Luo and Jerry Wang : Chinese-Character Input system.
Li Ma : Choosing the Smallest Number.
Bernard Niu and Maddie McCarthy and Danny Chia: Truth or Myth: Planes are always late!
(A Statistical Analysis of Flight Delays).
Jack Andrzejewski : Environmental Actuaries: The Probability of Tree Survival.
Jonathan Lee: NCAA final four: predictable or random?
Andrew Park: The 2006 NCAA basketball tournament: predictions, results and statistical factors.
Dennis Moy: Luck in major league baseball playoffs.
Gloria Wu and Lei Zhang: Predicting NBA basketball results.
Tommy Lu and Angela Zhang: Strategies in fantasy NBA basketball.
Ming Wu: Randomness within soccer games.
Sonah Kang: Risk - cancer.
Jennifer Cheng and Wing Tam: Risk of infant mortality.
Jason Yim: Asteroids: risk in perspective.
Tammy Lee: Simulation of artificial ant networks.
Omar Jabri and Kent Wong: Self-organized criticality:
simulation and application.
Itamar Landau. The evolution of cooperation:the spatial public goods game.
J. Chris Campbell: Adaptive strategies for the Swedish Lottery game.
Psychology and probability
Rosanna Li: The psychology of luck.
Jennifer Huang and Christine Lin and Michael Tsang: A "finding money"
Rose Cendak and Rebecca Graff: Risk aversion in games of chance.
Timothy Wu: Monte Carlo simulation in option pricing and
Chris Chow and Kevin Li: Predicting the S&P 500.
Jiho Han: Time-variant CAPM: learning about factor loading.
Nicholas Gowdy: Beliefs, actions and philosophy: an examination of philosophy through statistics.
Ricky Sun: Risk modelling and decision making trees.
Fayd Shelley: Collaboration graphs.
Arpine Paltajian: Can you mix business cards by shaking a
Bao Nguyen and Alex Young: Predicting box office receipts.
Ivy Lin: Does astrology work?
Anastasiya Denisova and Denis Lankin: Life in the Universe.