Statistics Graduate Student Association
This wiki is deprecated as of October 2016. Please check out the SGSA's new site!
Rebecca Barter: 2016 Berkeley Institute for Data Science Fellowship
Stephanie DeGraaf: 2016 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
Billy Fang: 2016 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
Sören Künzel: 2016-17 Citadel Fellowship
Jamie Murdoch: 2016 Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Fellowship
Chelsea Zhang: 2016 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
New and Prospective Students
The Department and the Program
- The Statistical Life
- PhD Coursework
- Prospective Students FAQ
- Finances and Funding
- Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs)
- Department Photos
- Getting around Berkeley and beyond
- Finding housing
- Good places to eat at
- Good places to drink at
- Things to see and do
If you're a Berkeley Statistics graduate student, you can login to this wiki using your SCF credentials.
'Prospective students and other visitors: if you have suggestions for the site, send an e-mail to Geno (gaguerra at ,berkeley,edu). We appreciate your comments and try to keep the information on here as up-to-date as possible! Thanks!
The Ph.D. Track
- Making the transition from coursework to research
- Choosing an advisor
- Designated Emphasis
- Preparing for the oral qualifying exam
- Filing your Dissertation
- Recommended Books: the best textbooks to have as references
- Some more wisdom: A selection of links to general career advice from mathematics/statistics faculty at Cal and elsewhere. Also, guides to writing conference papers/posters, and all of that stuff we're supposed to pick up along the way to a PhD.
Career, Conference Listings, Internship, and Funding Resources
- Fellowships: Sources of funding, organized and tailored to statistics graduate students.
- Conferences Want to present your work? Want to meet other academics outside of Evans? Check out a list of the conferences, workshops or summer schools that your classmates attend.
- Summer Internships and other opportunities
- Career Resources curated by the Statistics Department. Links to professional associations, job postings, etc.
Statistics Graduate Student Association (SGSA)
- News and Requests: Recent SGSA happenings, calls for grad participation
- Student Achievements: Recent Achievements by our wonderful graduate students.
- Calendar: Important SGSA (and other) events throughout the year.
- Bureaucracy: How-tos, checklists, reimbursement etc., for fulfilling committee duties.
- Committees: List of SGSA committees, with their respective leaders, members, and functions.
- Social Events: Hang out with fellow grads!
- 2011 CSGSA/SGSA Joint Oktoberfest BBQ (sponsored by Jane Street)
- Sports: We play soccer. Go Outliers!
- Two pictures of the soccer team taken on Halloween day Fall 2011:
- The SGSA T-Shirt, which transforms you from an ordinary person to SuperStatGrad, the data crunching, chance computing superhero. Beware of The Subordinator!
- Pictures of fun stuff we've done!
- Filing Your Taxes: Never filed before? Here's how to get started. Also tips on obtaining your 1098-T/W-2 form, and tax credits.
- Medical Leave: Information about department and university policies for leaves of absence.
- Foosball Tournament: Once or so in a semester, we have Foosball+pizza and random stuffs afterward.
- Fall 2012: Winner: Adityanand and Joe; Runners-up: Adam and Miki.
- SHIP Insurance and Healthcare: All you need to know about your health insurance plan.